domingo, 16 de marzo de 2014

When my son was born with Down Syndrome

My treasure
When Marco Antonio was born on May 28, 2001, in Lima-Peru. I had a scheduled cesarean section because the baby was not in the right position, I would also do a tubal ligation. Everything was fine until the surgeon sent for the doctor and was informed immediately my son came with physical features of Down syndrome in the same moment he was born in the operating room, the news was a shock to me. The Surgeon me asked me if I wished to stay tubal ligation? I said yes and asked the doctor immediately for my son. I asked him if I could put my son on my chest, he said yes. From that moment I felt Marquito and he has taught me so much since I was born I could not explain. His face full of tenderness, his inimitable smile, his love.

Marquito the Pope died of liver cancer when my son was 5, I had a very hard and sad time. Which we surpassed, but never forget.
On December 16, 2006, we began a new life in Chicago, Illinois beside a great man my husband Tom and my princess Katie Genetz (daughter of my husband) I will be sharing with you step by step our history.


Types of Down Syndrome

There are three basic types of Down syndrome. It is more likely that your baby has Trisomy 21, which means you have extra genetic material on chromosome pair 21, as a result of an anomaly in cell division during development of the egg or sperm or during fertilization. About 95% of people with DS have Trisomy 21. About 4% have Translocation, where the extra chromosome 21 broke off and joined another chromosome. About 1% have mosaicism, where only some cells have Trisomy 21.

Caring for Children with Down Syndrome

Children with Down Syndrome benefit from the same care, attention, and inclusion in community life that helps any child grow. As with all children, quality education in local schools and preschool or home education it is important in order to provide the child with Down Syndrome opportunities that are needed to develop strong academic skills. Although infants and children with Down Syndrome are early customers for extensive medical evaluations, infant stimulation, physical therapy, improving communication, developmental assessments, and other professional intervention, it is important to remember that every child deserves to be surrounded by people who love, respect and admire all children.


At 12 years old Marquito, went through very complicated health situations. From 7 to 10 years, he was hospitalized with many conditions. All these experiences have strengthened us and thank God his health has greatly improved.

4 comentarios:

  1. Me encanta ir conociendo poco a poco esta parte de tu vida! besote
    www.pattyaratablog.com

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Amiga, con la historia clínica de Marquito, espero que otros padres puedan guiarse y preguntar a sus médicos pedriatras. Besitos!

      Borrar
  2. Sherezade, Vivir el día a con ustedes es hermoso, pero ahora que lo compartes con con todos los padres para ayudar con tus experiencias, es admirable. Porque yo se lo mucho que tienes que hacer y encima te das el tiempo de escribir. Eres de aplaudir .

    ResponderBorrar
  3. Baby, the courage to make the change, the strength to see you through it, and faith that everything will work out for the best.

    ResponderBorrar