jueves, 20 de marzo de 2014

Down Syndrome Awareness day March 21st

March 21st is Down Syndrome Awareness day! 


We celebrate our children! They can develop many skills with dedication, hard work and perseverance even if it takes longer then you think.

We take this day to explain to people how are people with intellectual disabilities and how to treat them.

People with disabilities are like everyone else, they have the same needs as us. Need a family to support them, they need to be treated as people, they need friends to have fun, they need to work, they need a partner to love and who wants them, and they need access to decent housing ...

In short, they need to be an active part of society.

As for what is right to treat people with intellectual disabilities, we propose the following:

1. Treat me as a member of society.
2. Treat me as my age. I'm not always a child. I am also adolescent, adult, and elderly.
3. Respect my space as I respect yours.
4. Watch me as a person with skills, I have some limitations.
5. Give me a chance and I'll show you what I'm worth.
6. I am a disabled person but I'm not sick.
7. I am as I am.
8. If I need your help, I'll ask. Do not think about me.
9. As you are wrong, let me be wrong.

10. In short I am like you. We have the same rights. I respect yours; Can you respect mine?

2 comentarios:

  1. Respuestas
    1. God is working things out for us, even if you don't feel it. Have faith and be thankful. Where faith and hope grows, miracles blossom.

      Borrar